Getting Started with SEO
This is a summary about what i have learned recently about SEO in preparation for promoting of TDMX.
Missing is a section on Google’s structured section say for Software for rank1. Also missing is which WordPress plugins i could additionally use 😦
Overall Strategy and Tips
- Avoid automation / link networks
- SEO is a process, never finished
- KeyWord Research
- do it up front.
- keep keywords you’re targeting in a spreadsheet
- not too often, update every 6 months
- understand / design the link between your keywords and your content.
- Content Creation
- be consistent, rather than posting often.
- listen to reader comments
- Building Link Authority
- think about how to acquire new links to the content.
- build link to all pages/blog posts, not just the home page
- keep track of who’s linking to you
- get social after posting links
- use analytics check 1 a week.
- setup “Goals” in Google Analytics
- Pay Per Click ( PPC ) could be a reasonable strategy to get started when own authority is low.
Authoritative Resources about SEO
- googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com the google own, authoritative blog on SEO.
- moz.com – blog
- http://www.seobook.com – blog
- Matt Cutt’s Blog – head or previous head of webspam at Google.
- Search Engine Watch – internet marketing news.
- Search Engine Round Table – news site
- Search Engine Journal – blog on SEO and internet marketing.
- Search Engine Land – blog and news site.
Advanced Google Searching Options for SEO
cache: last cached site in google
related: google thinks content related to.
inurl: ( find blog posts )
link: find links to them.
site: all pages for site in google index
intitle: all pages which have the term in the title.
inanchor: all pages which have the term in a link’s anchor text.
Usefull SEO Tools
- Google Adwords – contains Keyword Planner tool.
- finding keywords / related to a website or phrase – giving ideas /
- find what keywords relatd to competitor website
- filter keywords on MatchType / Advanced: Competition filter
- gives Global Monthly Searches + Competition (estimate of “cost” if you do PPC )
- download to spreadsheet.
- to check for 404 errors / HTML improvements
- search queries showing your site with posn in ranking + change
- links to your site and their anchor text
- keyword it’s found on your site and where.
- remove any dynamic query parameters
- MozBar Google Chrome plugin
- gives SEO information for each page and search result.
- Sitemap Tool
Important Before Starting
- Setup a GoogleAnalytics (GA) Account
- Email / Subscriber capture
- keep an email list, upfront, consider goodie to incentivise subscription.
- periodic email ( blog content ) to keep engagement / trust
- special offers broadcast + rewarding subscribers.
- providers: ConstantContact, Infusionsoft, MailChimp, AWeber Communications
- Identifying Keywords
- easier to raise ranking than create new one
- filter organic keywords in Google analytics
- Competitive Analysis:
- keyword > competition find total competition by searching Google with
intitle:"keyword" and inanchor:"keyword"
- find total number of searches per month in Adword’s keyword Planner. TotalComp / Total Searches is a measure of worthwhileness to target a keyword.
On-Page SEO Techniques
- make website accessible
- always have comments availible
- create robots.txt
- create sitemap and add with google webmaster.tools if not found by Googlebot.
- types / kind of content to prioritize creating
- content with value: reference / answering questions
- avoid duplicate content
- write effective page title
- headline is google bold link in search results
- write first before content
- work in keywords
- be compelling – call to action / direct / how to / question
- optimize h1/h2 headings
- work in keywords & variations thereof
- breakup big content blocks – typical readers just scan
- write META description
- shows in google result for person searching
- call to action
- always write image alt text
- be descriptive
- try getting keyword alternatives into it
- technical points
- page query parameters should be replaced by dynamic url’s.
<link rel="canonical" href="master page"/>if page is not definitive
- don’t use META Keywords – checkout competitors if they use it.
- link outbound
- when they are high authoritative websites.
- Never use keywords in the anchor text to ext. sites
- use a.rel=”nofollow” to be seo neutral if target site is low quality.
- internal links point to most important pages
- main navigation bar
- always put keywords naturally into anchor text
- sidebar links
- keep # links reasonable say < 100 per page.
Local Search Specifics
- Sign up for regional directories: Yahoo local, Google places, Bing local etc
- search google: “Cityname Guide” “Cityname Directories”
- be active / comment on reviews
- consider Local Review Sites: Yelp, Citysearch
- try getting Local Press articles written about you.
- local competitor analysis to find their links to use your own:
- search google:
"BusinessName Address -site:www.competitordomain.com"
- search google:
- Research Local Keywords by selecting region in Adwords
- always have phonenumber and address on pages.